Friday, September 23, 2016

Rules of the Game Essential questions Jonathan Gillespie Average Joes

In “Rules of the Game” Waverly’s family do adapt to some American cultures and customs but overall, they keep their own way of life and don’t change from it that much. One major American culture they do celebrate is Christmas. They go to a missionary church where gifts are passed out and that is where they receive the chess set. Mrs.Jong wants to throw away the gift which would be rude to the person who gave it to them but the kids decide to keep it. Waverly’s mom also acts stereotypical at times(which does fit the era they live in as a lot of were) with some examples being when she said,  “Chinese people do business, do medicine, do painting. Not like lazy American people. We do torture. Best torture.”
Waverly though, is the one who I believe adapts the most American customs for when she plays chess. In the story she becomes a national champion and it says, “I was still 429 points away from grandmaster status, but I was touted as the Great American Hope, a child prodigy and a girl to boot .” This shows that she achieves the American dream which is part of our culture as people come here hoping to get big. She also acts like an impatient child to trick her opponents into thinking that the reason she is there is because she is lucky and doesn’t know what she is doing. Chess can also be seen as a metaphor to American life as it is like one giant game  where g you can plan ahead and try to anticipate what your opponent ( who is life) will throw at you and try to counter it.
main-qimg-41fd47489fc74ddfab304937a01c0629-c.jpg
download.jpg

download (1).jpg

4 comments:

  1. I agree that Waverly was the most adaptable to the American rules. I can connect to her when she achieved 429 points, because when I was in 8th grade I achieved all A's. I agree that you can plan ahead and anticipate what life will throw at you.I am confused about you third picture, and how it relates to the text and question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree kind of with the idea that american life is like a game. The part I do agree with is that you can plan ahead for what will happen in the future. This shows that you can be prepared for things that will happen. What I don't agree with is that this metaphor doesn't have a lot to do with American life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree because the fact of chess relating to life as a giant game is a good comparison. You also prove a good point that Waverly acts impatient to deceive her opponents. They do adopt quite a bit of american cultures and customs but they basically add it into their culture. Good job you don't lack evidence and you got your point through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you compared life to a game of chess. It's true that whatever move you make will determine your next moves and the moves after that. Your point you made about them being stereotypical is appropriate for them considering the time era made me wonder- when does this story take place. If I were to assume, I would say it takes place around the 50's, but that's sort of a good thing about this story- that it's timeless.

    ReplyDelete